Ombudsperson for Youth in STRTPs Helpline: 1-888-445-1234 (it's a free call)

  • The Helpline is answered between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • If you call before or after the above hours, on a holiday, a Saturday or a Sunday, please leave your name, phone number, and a detailed message and your call will be returned the next business day.

  • If your call is an emergency and you need to report child abuse and neglect, immediately call the Child Protection Hotline at 1-800-540-4000 or 9-1-1.

What is an Ombudsperson?

An Ombudsperson is a person who helps resolve complaints.

Where may I find Ombudsperson information in STRTPs?

We have posters displayed in STRTPs. Click here to see what they look like.

I have questions about the Foster Youth Bill of Rights. Have they been updated?

Yes, the Foster Youth Bill of Rights were updated in January 2020 and includes 41 Rights.

Who do the Foster Youth Bill of Rights apply to?

The Foster Youth Bill of Rights applies to all children and nonminor dependents in care including voluntary and probation.

Where can I read about the Foster Bill of Rights?

Click here to view Foster Youth Bill of Rights.

Can I call the Ombudsperson for any STRTP issue?

Yes, you have the right to call the Ombudsperson any time for any STRTP issue. We will assist you as best we can.

Who will the Ombudsperson tell that I have called?

We will only tell the people who can assist us in resolving your concern, and we will tell you who those people will be, such as your Children’s Social Worker or a staff or manager at your placement.

Can I keep my court ordered visits while I am in an STRTP?

Yes, you can continue with visits that are court and CSW approved. Your STRTP will need to be involved.

Can I make a request for someone else?

Yes; however, we may be limited in helping that person without speaking with them directly.

Can I make an anonymous complaint/request?

Yes, you may make an anonymous complaint/request, and we will do our best to keep your name confidential. However, if your call is about abuse or neglect, we need to report it to the Child Protection Hotline.

If I’m in an STRTP and on Probation can you help me?

There is a Probation Ombudsman who can help you. The Probation Ombudsman’s toll-free number is 1-877-822-3222. We can also relay your information/request to the Probation Ombudsman. Click here to visit their website.

If I am under dual supervision (have both a Social Worker and Probation Officer), can you help me?

When you call, we will obtain your information and find out if the Department of Children and Family Services or Probation Department is the lead agency in your case. Then, we will move forward with the best way to help you.

Who can I call if I am from another County and not Los Angeles County?

There is a Foster Care Ombudsperson for all foster care youth in the State of California who can assist you. The toll-free phone number is 1-877-846-1602. Click here to visit their website.

Can the Ombudsperson change my STRTP placement?

The Ombudsperson does not have authority to change your placement. You must contact your Children’s Social Worker and make the request, or we can do it on your behalf. However, your request does not guarantee your placement will be changed.

May my room be searched?

Yes, your room may be searched by the STRTP staff, but it must be for a specific reason. You do not have to be told when your room is going to be searched.

What is the minimum weekly allowance I should receive?

Your minimum weekly allowance depends on how old you are. The minimum weekly allowances are in the chart below.

Age Range Minimum Weekly Allowance Amount
5 to 7 years old $7.60
8 to 10 years old $10.80
11 to 13 years old $14.00
14 to 15 years old $16.20
16 to 17 years old $19.40
18 to 20 years old $27.00

What is the minimum monthly clothing allowance I should receive?

The minimum clothing allowance is $75.70 per month.

Do I have to spend my monthly clothing allowance when I receive it, or can I save it?

You do not have to spend your clothing allowance every month. You can save it for a future purchase that costs more than a month’s allowance. Make sure you track your money, so you know how much you have.

If I want extra clothes above the minimum required amount, is the STRTP or Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) required to pay for them?

The STRTP or DCFS are not required to pay for extra clothes above the minimum required amount of clothes.

If I want clothes for special occasions or events, like sports uniform or a prom dress, is my STRTP placement required to pay for them?

YES, the STRTP pays for Special Clothing.

Below is considered Special Clothing and for the following events:
  • School Uniforms
  • Sports Clothing
  • Sports Equipment
  • Special Occasion Clothing
  • Work Uniforms
Other necessary items for:
  • Dances
  • Proms
  • Employment Interviews
  • Graduation

It is best to let the STRTP know as soon as possible of your special clothing needs as it takes time to plan and make these purchases.

Can I have personal hygiene and hair care products that I need?

Yes, you have the right to have and be provided with hygiene and hair care products that are right for you.

If I have difficulty contacting my Children’s Social Worker or Attorney, can the Ombudsperson help me?

Yes, the Ombudsperson will help you contact your Children’s Social Worker or your Attorney.

If I am vegetarian, vegan, or lactose intolerant, does the STRTP have to accommodate my dietary needs?

Yes, the STRTP must provide food that meets your dietary needs.

Can I have a cell phone in an STRTP placement?

Yes, you do have a right to own a cell phone unless the judge says you cannot. The STRTP does NOT have to pay for your cell phone and can have reasonable rules for when you use or don’t use your cell phone.

Can I have and keep my birth control while I am living in an STRTP?

Yes, you have the right to have and keep your birth control in your own private storage space while you are living in an STRTP.

Can I see my doctor privately if want?

Yes, you have the right to meet with your doctor privately (by yourself).

Where can I find more information about my Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights?

You may go to the following websites for your Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights: LA RHEP for Foster Youth | CDSS

Thank you for reading our Frequently Asked Questions. If you have an STRTP question we did not cover, please fill out the contact form on our webpage, and ask us. Or, you may call us at 1-888-445-1234.

Click here for a PDF/printable version of the FAQs.